Community Fisheries Organizations- CFOs; Hatchery Management; Funding Development;
Community Fisheries’ Organizations – “CFOs”-
Organizations that are Invested in their Rivers, Streams and Watersheds!
- A CFO may be a group of fisherman (Recreational, Commercial, Tribal), an organization or association, a Tribal organization, a City or County, a Business and more: Coastal or Inland waterways.
The most effective Fisheries Enhancement entities and programs today are CFOs!
- CFOs are Doer Groups that have a vested interest in improving the salmon and steelhead runs in their rivers, streams and watershed. Organizations that are impacted by the adult returns of Salmon and Steelhead for their fishing opportunities, economic impact, environmental impact and heritage.
- CFOs work to create a sustainable culture of fisheries enhancement.
- CFOs currently have challenges, resistance, regulatory needs and dynamics that are difficult to find resources to move forward in fisheries enhancement in their watershed. Many have been forced to discontinue.
- The Magnuson-Stevens Fishery Conservation and Management Act authorizes the creation of Fishing Community and Regional Fishery Associations.
NWFE works to Strengthen or Build Community Fisheries Organizations (CFOs) to help improve Salmon, Steelhead returns to their watershed by building Support, Education, Planning, Biological, Networking, Regulatory navigation, Accreditation, Advocacy and other resources needed by CFOs
NWFE brings Hatchery Management options and support to build competitive Public/ Private Partnerships with CFOs that will engage with current programs.
Wild / Natural Origin Fish Enhancement are strengths of CFOs
NWFE brings Funding Development, Membership Support, Planning, and Administration support.
CFOs can build a Chamber of Commerce approach to Fisheries Enhancement within a watershed by involving the many concerned and impacted groups.
Towards Salmon, Steelhead and Trout Fisheries Enhancement
Hatchery and Fisheries Management – moving into an 8.0 version and beyond. Meeting responsible and modern practices for Hatchery options and Natural Origin Salmon and Steelhead management.
Build Public/ Private Partnerships that offer hatchery owners Competitive management options.
Bring seasoned fisheries, business, finance, public personnel and executives with a passion for fisheries enhancement in our waters of the Northwest to develop or strengthen programs and enhance Hatchery management.
Guide Hatchery management to exceed current hatchery SARs (smolt to adult returns)
Build on Hatchery Reform Policies and guidelines of the Hatchery Scientific Review Group (HSRG) and hatchery reform.
Integrate Hatcheries into support of Wild / Natural Origin Salmon and Steelhead Adult returns.
Build a Community approach to Fisheries Enhancement.
Drive the economic and enviromental impact of succesfull fisheries management.
Stengthen and Build Vanguard programs.
NWFE — Funding Development
Government at various levels has generally managed Fisheries Enhancement of Salmon, Steelhead and Trout, but Government funding is shifting and fisheries enhancement is left on the downside of funding.
A need has developed for a funding development entity towards fisheries enhancement.
NWFE looks to be a dynamic entity in Fisheries Enhancement Funding Development from typical and non-typical funders and partners.
NWFE looks to Build Return for our supporters, funders and partners.
We can develop many substantial and effective programs toward fisheries enhancement -they all need funding!
“To Create a Sustainable Culture of Salmon Fisheries Enhancement, Fishing Opportunities and Positive Economic and Environmental Impact”
The vision is that Government has generally managed Fisheries Enhancement of Salmon, Steelhead and trout, but that Government funding is shifting and decreasing, salmon fisheries enhancement has been left on the downside of funding.
This dynamic shift has created a need/ opportunity for an entity to play a role in fisheries enhancement in the Northwest US and beyond.
The Non Profit model for Fisheries Enhancement management is successfully in Alaska, Canada and will be a fit for the Northwest.
NWFE works to be an entity;
• Meeting responsible and modern practices for hatchery options and Wild/ Natural Origin Salmon, Steelhead and Trout enhancement.
• Strengthen or Build Community Fisheries Organizations (CFOs) to help improve Salmon and Steelhead returns to their rivers. The most effective Fisheries Enhancement entities and programs today are CFOs that are invested in their rivers!
• Build Public/ Private Partnerships that offer hatchery owners competitive management options without relying too heavily on the government.
• Bring seasoned fisheries, business, finance, public personnel and executives with a passion for fisheries enhancement in our waters of the Northwest to develop or strengthen programs to ensure Salmon and Steelhead return and their survival.